2. four people are speaking about their life at school. listen, (recording 1, activity book), and match the speakers (1—4) with what they say (a—e). there is one statement you don't have to use.
a) the student says that his/her teacher changed his/her attitude (отношение) to one of the school subjects.
b) the student says his/her test results were always worse than his/her knowledge.
c) the student says his parents were surprised at his/her marks in sciences.
d) the student says his/her father and mother liked their child's results in school subjects.
e) the student says he/she was fond of his/her fellow students as well as the teachers.
3. read the text and the sentences after it. decide in which of the sentences the information is true(t), false(f) or not stated(ns).
the american school year isn`t very long. there are two terms and at the end of each term students get their marks and a report card from their teachers.
american students have rather many vacations in the school year. they have two weeks for spring vacation, two weeks for christmas vacation and three months for summer vacation. american schoolchildren have four years of high school¹. in the first two years of high school, they have fairly many exams. each student takes exams in english and mathematics, but they are not very difficult. in the last two years american students prepare for college.
people usually say that american school life is not very hard.
¹high school - старшие классы средней школы в америке
1. the american school year is longer than the english school year.
2. teachers give marks to their students at the end of each term.
3. american pupils have four vacations during the school year.
4. every child in america goes to high school.
5. english and mathematics are the most important subjects for everybody.
6. american students have a fairly easy life.
4. complete the sentences with the derivatives of the words on the right.
1. we know little about the system of in canada.
2. robert is a well- a very good one indeed.
3. little children like to make sandcastles on .
4. i didn't understand why greg greeted me so
5. this is a very rule.
6. people in europe have christmas in december.
7. the mississippi is a great and river in north america.
8. it was a very and interesting book.
5. choose the appropriate verbs in brackets to complete the sentences.
1. people often (say/tell) me about their problems.
2. gwen doesn't (talk/speak) german very well.
3. my classmates and me often (talk/tell) about our favourite tv shows.
4. never (tell/say) lies.
5. i don't like physics. everybody (says/tells) it is a difficult subject, and i agree.
6. could you (tell/say) us the time, please?
7. garry (said/told) to me he wanted to visit the usa.
6. complete the sentences. use the words from the box.
to of out back into for over
1. i am tired writing dictations.
2. jack got a good mark his literature test.
3. i don`t know what happened them yesterday.
4. i don't understand the problem. let's talk it
5. never talk to people who are older than you.
6. my elder brother talked me of the trip to the usa by sea. he said it was a very long voyage.
7. i hope i'll talk him learning chinese. it is important for his job.
7*. make up different types of questions.
1. the school year begins in september.
2. the school year is over in june.
а) Учащийся говорит, что его / ее учитель изменил свое отношение к одному из школьных предметов.
б) студент говорит, что его / ее результаты теста всегда были хуже, чем его / ее знания.
c) Ученик говорит, что его родители были удивлены его / ее оценками в науках.
г) студент говорит, что его / ее отцу и матери понравились результаты их ребенка по школьным предметам.
д) Ученик говорит, что он / она любил своих сокурсников, а также учителей.
3. Прочитайте текст и предложения после него. Решите, в каком из предложений информация верна (T), ложна (F) или не указана (NS).
Американский учебный год не очень длинный. Есть два семестра, и в конце каждого семестра ученики получают свои оценки и табель успеваемости от своих учителей.
У американских студентов довольно много каникул в учебном году. У них есть две недели для весенних каникул, две недели для рождественских каникул и три месяца для летних каникул. Американские школьники имеют четыре года средней школы¹. В первые два года старшей школы у них довольно много экзаменов. Каждый студент сдает экзамены по английскому и математике, но они не очень сложны. В последние два года американские студенты готовятся к поступлению в колледж.
Люди обычно говорят, что американская школьная жизнь не очень сложна.
Высшая школа - старшие классы средней школы в Америке
1. Американский учебный год длиннее английского учебного года.
2. Учителя ставят оценки своим ученикам в конце каждого семестра.
3. Американские ученики имеют четыре отпуска в течение учебного года.
4. Каждый ребенок в Америке учится в старшей школе.
5. Английский язык и математика - самые важные предметы для всех.
6. У американских студентов довольно легкая жизнь.
4. Дополните предложения производными слов справа.
they invented photography in the 1840s. the french government gave the statue of liberty to the american people. they have sent for the doctor. they show films at the cinema. she will deliver a lecture tomorrow. fleming discovered penicillin in 1928. the chinese invented paper.
положительного, ни отрицательного ответа (3 — notstated). i am not a writer by trade. i am a white hunter. my name is allan quatermain and i live in durban, south africa. i am fifty-five years of age and for more than thirty years i have been trading, hunting, fighting or mining in one part of africa or another. i have, in my time, shot sixty-five
lions. the sixty-sixth got me and mauled me pretty badly before he was driven off. that is why i limp a bit on my left leg. well, it's eighteen months or so since i first met sir henry curtis and captain good, which is the real beginning of my story. that was in 1885. i'd been elephant hunting beyond bamangwato and had had bad luck. everything went wrong on that trip, and to top up with
i got the fever badly. as soon as i was well enough i sold such ivory as i had and took myself down to the cape. after a week in cape town, i made up my mind to go back to durban by thedunkeld, then lying in the docks waiting for the edinburgh castle to get in from england. i took my berth and went aboard, and that afternoon the passengers from england came on and we put to sea. among
the passengers who came on board there were two who caught my interest. one, a man of about thirty, was one of the biggest and strongest-looking men i'd ever seen. he had yellow hair and beard, clear-cut features and large grey eyes set deep in his head. i found out, by looking at the passenger list, that this was sir henry curtis. he reminded me very much of somebody else, but at the
time i could not remember who it was. the man with him was listed as captain john good, and i put him down at once as a naval officer. he was stout and dark, and very neat and very clean-shaved, and he always wore an eyeglass in his right eye. (by h. r. haggard) a5 the author never killed lions. l)true 2) false 3) not stated | a6 | the author's story began nearly a year and a half ago.
1) true 2) false 3) not stated | a7 [ the author had been ill before his travel by sea. l)true 2) false 3) not stated | a8 | sir henry curtis was educated in good manners. l)true 2) false 3) not stated